Lyman Hall Summer Reading 2015
At Lyman Hall we believe that reading is key to academic success and life-long learning. And we know that students want choice when it comes to summer reading. So we have designed an exciting new summer reading program that rewards you for reading and lets you vote for your favorite Nutmeg Book Award selection.
How does it work?
- All students, grades 9-12, will choose one of the ten 2016 Nutmeg Book Award nominees. Just sign up on the LHHS website, then enjoy! On the website, you’ll see the variety of teachers who are reading the same book as you.
- In the fall, you will be invited to participate in a book talk hosted by the teacher(s) during an Advisory period. And you’ll earn extra credit from your English teacher.
What about a test?
- No test. Really. Just read and enjoy.
What if I don’t read one of the Nutmeg Books?
- You’ll be missing out on this new, no-pressure summer reading program designed with everyone in mind.
What if I read a book that is not on the Nutmeg Book Award list?
- No problem. Just fill out a reader recommendation card and give it to your English teacher for extra credit. If lots of students read the same book, we may be able to organize additional book talks, so be sure your voice is heard and get your friends to read your choice.
What about honors and Advanced Placement English?
- Your English teacher has selected a book to kick-start your class. You are required to read this book, but you are invited to participate in the Nutmeg Book Award selection process as well.
Parents often ask how they can remain involved in their adolescent’s high school education. One way, simply, is to encourage young minds to develop a life-long love of books.
Enjoy the gift of summer reading together.
David Bryant Susan Gomes
Principal English Department Chair