Wallingford STEM Town
What is Wallingford STEM?
Wallingford STEM Town is a community initiative that brings education and awareness about opportunities in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
What is STEM?
STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics. STEM in the Wallingford Public Schools includes of those departments as well as after school clubs, summer camps, enrichment opportunities, and other design thinking initiatives in a variety of subject areas. We have several STEM software partners, including Mystery Science, Legends of Learning, and Tech Trep Academy. Click on the pages on this site to find out more about STEM in Wallingford Public Schools.
Why is this focus so important for our students and Town?
Right now, there are over 500,000 unfilled positions in the STEM fields in our country. Connecticut has a shortage of qualified employees to fill these positions as well. This scenario presents a crisis in the workforce that we must address in order to best prepare our students for life after high school while maintaining the viability of business and industry in Wallingford, Connecticut and the United States.
Wallingford STEM Vision
To embed STEM into the Town of Wallingford.
Wallingford STEM Mission
1. To provide the opportunity for students to have the experience to enter the world of STEM.
2. To view STEM careers as a viable pathway for them.
3. To have parents, educators, and the community view STEM as a viable area to teach throughout students' educational careers.
4. To change the misconception of manufacturing and the way the manufacturing business is viewed.
5. To remove the stigma of being a STEM-focused person.